Sunday, February 7, 2016

I Almost Ate A Stink Bug

Halyomorpha halys lab.jpg

The Queen and I first noticed the manifestation of the stink bug this year. Being a woman(no offense, girls) every time one is seen in our condo it's up to me grab it and do the right thing. If I'm in a sadistic mode I'll flush it down the toilet. On the other hand, if I'm large of heart I'll gently grab it and throw it out the front door where it will die a slow death from the bitter cold.

Before 2015 I'd never seen one before. Aside from being less appealing looking than a puppy I don't consider them being on a par with a venomous cobra for danger. But they have become sort of a pain in the patootey. If I'm watching television and see one on the wall the compunction to grab it overwhelms me. Up and down, up and down from my couch becomes extremely tedious.

I did find out they snuck into this country from either China or Japan--the bastards! Evidently, they like fruit but destroy fruit trees. So, a few of them hopped onto a freighter and made their way here sans passport.

We had guests for dinner two weeks ago. One of the little beggars(a half inch long) jumped onto my dinner plate. I didn't utter a sound. Did I want to let our friends think the salad was tainted? No, I gracefully snagged it, excused myself, then-----FLUSH.

Word to the wise when grabbing one of these vermin: slowly grasp it as you would holding a baby bird. To crush one gives off an odorous 'stinky sock' smell hence the name.

Some species have names such as bluebird. Others are more benign; a cow, horse, turtle. Being a stink but about says it all.

Do you suppose Noah took two of these on the Ark? If so, he must have been drunk.

No comments: