Thursday, November 12, 2015

College Students On A Rampage

"Citizens, today is the beginning of the million student march". I've seen kiddies from the Univ. of Missouri, Yale, Ithaca College and CUNY of New York strut their stuff. These youngsters have a couple of set goals: 1) eliminate the cost of higher education, 2) The cancellation of all student debt, 3) a mandatory $15 dollar an hour wage or all minimum wage workers on campus

Call me silly but these protestations might come to a halt Friday afternoon after classes are finished. You all know what I mean. It'll be bar time.

I'd love to be a college professor while these kids are cutting my class----F,F,F,F,F. But that's just the way I am.

I saw a sweet young thing, Keeley Mullen the organizer of The March*, on Neil Cavuto's show explaining the goals of these college kids. God love Neil. He could have verbally eviscerated her but he was extremely kind. The poor lass was clueless.** She asserted that the top 1% of all wager earners should pay 90% of the costs of education. I hate to tell her but most of these folks are on the Left side of the aisle; Bill Gates and Warren Buffett to mention the top two. "Say what"? One of these days and not that far in the future Tinker Bell will be there. I wonder how she'll feel about that in fifteen years.

I've written before that I have a partial answer to rising college financial rates. Kids should be required to attend a two year community college. It's inexpensive and they have the same subjects to conquer as the 4-year students; remedial English, remedial Math, remedial Western Civilization that they study at Vassar and the University of any State in the Union.

I spend a great deal of time at the Safari driving range in Dublin, Ohio. I like to talk to the high school kids who show up to hit balls. I'll ask where they're going to school and I'll get an answer like, "I'll attend Miami of Ohio in Oxford, Ohio". If you look at the costs for one year at Miami it would be comparable to what I made my first five years of teaching and coaching. I'll mention a JUCO and they'll wretch in horror. Granted, Dublin is an upscale community but why not do your mommy and daddy a favor and throw a little love their way? Of course, the parents are mostly to blame for this because they give into the whining of their offspring. It's like, "What will my friends think if I have to attend Columbus State"?

I find that the high school kids moving on to higher education at a two year school have after school jobs; Wendy's, Dairy Queen, Burger King. For some reason they understand the value of a dollar.

So, where did this all begin. Well, if you read the news I'd suggest it goes back to the 1% sit-ins and #Black Lives Matter, both of which are arms of the communist party. These people don't want to be associated with disruptions so they need a scapegoat and they found one.

Can you say, Michael Brown, the 'gentle giant'? Oh, I forgot to mention the liberal mainstream media. Egg on my face.

*Cavuto interview with Ms. Mullen
** Tuition plan where Ms. Keeley did her grade and high school education
http://www.fwparker.org/Tuition
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/11/12/neil-cavuto-repeatedly-confronts-student-pushing-free-college-plan-with-harsh-facts-figures-during-cringeworthy-9-minute-interview/

No comments: