Monday, April 13, 2015

A Wee Bit About Jordan Speith

Even if you don't care about golf you should become familiar with young Jordan Speith. He won the Masters yesterday and, selfishly, I couldn't be happier. The young man is going to change the face of golf. It will become what it used to be; a gentlemen's game.

Golf is my passion. I'm about as proficient at the game as a man without arms trying to play marbles by using his chest. I've had some ups in the game but many more downers. It doesn't matter. At my age this is what the game offers: the camaraderie of being with good friends. The fun of giving these old boys the needle when then screw up then laughing about it. I love looking at the terrain, walking to the green for a putt after placing my previous shot on the green. I like when the sun is out, the grass is emerald green and the clouds are billowy white in the sky.

Three years ago I asked my then 8 year-old grandson to name is favorite golfer. He said it was Tiger Woods. I almost threw up. Then I asked him the question, "Why"? Luckily for me and 8 year-olds everywhere he told me, "Because he's the only one I know". To that I said, "Whew"!

Jordan Speith is the antithesis of Tiger. He's polite and is quietly appreciative his skills. He doesn't scowl at his opponents but gives them a thumbs up after they've pulled off a great shot. He gives credit to his parents for keeping him grounded in life. I hope he stays that way and the chances of that are better than 100%.

A reporter asked him this question.(And you do know how I feel about reporters, sports ones, especially). "To what do you owe your humbleness"? Jordan's response was a classic. "If I answered the question then I wouldn't be humble".

So, this is what we are going to see. No more cursing on the course from the supposed greatest golfer who ever lived(Ahem--see Jack Nicklaus), no more temper tantrums, no more fist pumps, no more me, me, me. From Jordan Speith we will not witness little black books full of names of hookers and, finally, we will not be privy to the information that a 9 iron found a home in the back window of his
Cadillac Escalade.

No comments: