Tuesday, February 3, 2015

What A Small World It Is

I've broached this subject many times before, running into people from my past life. If not these type then folks who know friends and acquaintances of mine. I'm sure this happens with you, too.

I pulled my vehicle into the community parking lot at our Florida condo last Saturday. In front of me was a lady getting out of an SUV. On the back was an Iowa Hawkeye logo. Whenever Iowans see this or someone wearing an Iowa shirt it's an obligation to say, "How 'bout them Hawks". So I did. My suspicion is it's this way for residents of every state. Alabamians would utter, "Roll Tide".

We struck up a conversation and I found out she lived in Waterloo, Iowa. I mentioned my first coaching job was at a high school west of Cedar Falls, adjacent to Waterloo. She told me her best friend married a guy who graduated from the high school in 1968. Since this was my one and only year at that school I asked his name. What a surprise. That kid-guy-man-old timer now, played forward for me on my first basketball team.

Every Friday evening in our condo community room there's a cocktail party and dinner for the residents. It's tedious going there because everyone looks so old. Not me, though. Anyway, I met a couple who said they were from a town in Missouri called Ferguson. I kid you not when I write I hesitated at the name. For an instant I knew I'd heard of the town but I didn't recall it. Can you believe that? It was then I said something that illustrates my ignorance, racism, cob-webbed brain or plain stupidity. I said, "You're kidding me. You can't be from Ferguson. You're White". Aren't I just flat out amazing?

I had two careers in my life, one as a teacher and coach and the other in sales. I call that one my real job. My territory was huge and I drove it all. A part of it encompassed the entire province of Ontario Canada. Our condo is populated by Canadians to the tune of 70% out of 200 residents. It's fun for me because when they talk about Mississauga, Brantford, Chatham or Windsor and a myriad of other communities I can chime in on the conversation. I can also say, "Eh" with the best of them.

It's February 3 and we've been in Florida for one month and three days. I'm getting antsy. A month in one spot is enough for me. My grandma always said I have ants in my pants. She's right. I'm ready to go back to Dublin, Ohio.



No comments: