Monday, February 23, 2015

The Snooze Awards

DIANNY RANTS: Hollywood DuncesAcademy Awards 2015

Isn't this the most fabulous depiction of what takes place at the Academy Awards? I borrowed it from that great conservative site, All The Right Snark.

One of the Arquette's, I think her name is Patricia, won an Oscar. She used to play a detective type person who saw the future in a TV show. I liked her. Last night, in accepting her award, she spoke out about equal wage discrimination. Just what I didn't want to hear*. The cameras then panned the audience and we were saw Meryl Streep and Jennifer Lopez screaming and clapping wildly. It was Streep, a number of years ago, who took up the cause of denouncing Alar. That word was already on the tip of your tongue before you read it, right? I didn't think so. Alar is a chemical sprayed on apples while on the tree to make them ripen longer. Streep made it your cause to say that the chemical was causing cancer. And these are the same people who try and convince us they know something about why kids are born autistic. If Meryl Streep wasn't a movie actress she'd be waiting tables at the Waffle House. And JLo would only be a broad with big boobs.

I work this way. I'll enjoy an actors work until they move away from their trade. In 1973 Marlon Brando won an Oscar. Instead of accepting it he sent a female American-Indian onstage to accept his award to illustrate the poor treatment of those folks by the film industry. Some booed but then there was a massive cheer from the audience. Y'all remember this, right? I didn't thinks so since no one cares. Now, whenever I see a Brando film I switch channels. He just doesn't do it for me.

The accompanying picture is presented for a solid reason. Actors and actresses who make millions on the silver screen, in all likelihood, could care less about whales, equal pay and AIDS---no, I'm incorrect on this. They're probably in the danger zone when it comes to unprotected sex. I'll substitute men in general as a group to be protested.

My wife is a huge fan of the Academy Awards. A few years ago a group of our friends got together to watch the show. The wives wore formals and the men were in the finest suits and tuxedos. I put a long red carpet on our sidewalk and we all walked into the house and plunked our butts on the couch to view the festivities. It was fun and killed an evening.

Now that I think about it the night had more to do with us than Hollywood. Last night my wife yelled out at me from the bedroom, "Are you going to come in and watch the Academy Awards"? I answered in the affirmative and fifteen minutes later sauntered in to find her fast asleep.

Watching the Awards show does that to a lot of people.

The examples I've presented of Arquette and Brando illustrate why the Awards ratings are now hovering around those of MSNBC.

* As a side note Hillary Clinton paid her male senatorial staff 38% more than she did to her female employees.

No comments: