Friday, January 23, 2015

I've Lost My Touch At Blogging

Five years ago when I started this blog it took me an entire year to work up  to fifty daily page views. Three years later I could easily count on three hundred per day. After of one year hiatus of hibernating the column was resumed and here we are again, looking at a pitiful one hundred views per day. Oh, every once in awhile I'll see a bonanza but it's very irregular.

One of my intermittent readers told me he enjoys the human interest stories. He's probably correct in his assumption. Lately, I've been doing many reprints. I try and make them as humorous as possible. But how can this be accomplished when we're inundated on a daily basis with beheadings and Allah Akbar?

As most of you know I've been in Miramar Beach, Florida for three weeks. It's a nice place. We have a condo one hundred yards from the Gulf. So far I haven't put my toes in sand let alone sea water. My goal for the next six weeks is to not get near the water. It's sort of like being at the base of Mt. Everest and not taking one step toward the summit. It'll be a challenge but I know it can be done. Eat your heart out Tenzing Norgay.

The interesting aspect of our trip this year are some of the people I've run into. Quick now, google Boone, Iowa. Unless you happened to grow up there some folks would call it 'the home of nothing'. Others, natives, might say the same. In the Destin, Florida area(where we are) there are seven of my high school classmates and their wives Snow Birding. Destin is in the western Panhandle. Winter rates are less expensive than down south. It's why it's called the Redneck Riviera.

I was thinking of all these people from my hometown yesterday in my entire life before this week I didn't speak twenty words to them. Now,  it's as though we're like first cousins. That's the way life is. When we reach the 'check out' generation there are no inhibitions. We're all the same. We don't have jealousies, embarrassments or superficial hidden agendas. All we want to do is go to the early bird special and talk about medical issues.

 What we do have are lousy memories. There's a woman in the condo across the pool from us. She and I went to grade school together for eight years. One would think I'd remember her but I didn't. Guess how stupid I am? When I saw her two days ago and she brought this up I said, "I don't remember you". Very quickly, as I saw the look on her face I said, "I'm sorry. I've had a lot of sports related concussions in my life and don't remember so well". I think she bought it.

My activities revolve around trips to Wal-Mart for prescription medicines, daily walks to the Dollar Store. I email my Edward Jones stock broker all the time. The computer is almost my best friend. If I didn't use the computer it would sue me for alienation of affection.

I get to turn 69 on Monday. Big plans that day. I plan on waking up and breathing all day long and into the night.

If I don't get more than one hundred page views I'm going to come up with a new hobby. If you have suggestions feel free to make offers.

No comments: