Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Aaron Rogers: More Than A Football Player

There's a strong possibility I'm in the top 1% of the American males who doesn't enjoy NFL football. For most guys, even if they've never hiked a ball or thrown the pigskin, Sundays(seems as though it's every night now) are for parking their rear ends in front of the TV and cheering on teams they could care less about. "Hey honey, bring me another beer and a bag of chip".

I grew up a Green Bay Packer fan in the 1960's. It was the era of Ray Nitchke, Bart Starr, Paul Hornung and Jerry and Ron Kramer. The Packers were invincible. Hence, the nickname Titletown was bestowed on Green Bay.

There weren't many games on television especially in Iowa in the 1950's and 60's. If we did receive one it was either the Bears or Packers. The NFL hired an announcer named Ray Scott and he seemingly did all the Packer games. He was good at his craft and the fans began associating Scott with the Packers.

I'm not sure when I gave up on the game. It might have been in 1986 when I took my then ten year old son to watch a team, the Chicago Bears, who would become the Super Bowl Champions. It was a disaster. The couple sitting next to my son, she in his lap, simulated the sex act for a good quarter. When I complained the guy flipped up his cap and it read, "Fu*k Ya'". Nice, huh? The purpose of going to an NFL game is to get obnoxiously drunk.

I could go on and on complaining about the NFL but I won't. There is only one team and one team only I watch. It is the Green Bay Packers and I do it for one reason. It is my opinion that their quarterback, Aaron Rogers, is fantastic and fun to watch. There's no hotdogging from this man. He does his job without being a showboat. Rogers is not only a superstar on the field but he's a superstar off of it.

The stories of his charitable giving of his time are stuff of which legends are made. I was privy to receive from a good friend a six minute video of Rogers and a six year old girl. Her brother died of cancer at age four two years ago. Rogers has become her bigger than life hero by donating his time to help her lead a campaign to wipe out this children's disease. By watching the video his compassion and sincerity are more than evident.

It's a heart wrenching video and I'm sure, if you don't watch the NFL, you will have gained a newfound respect for a man who has his priorities in place.

http://itsaaron.com/

No comments: