Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Cows and Methane Gas

This administration has made many inane proclamations during their five year tenure. This past week the EPA and the rest of the global warming advocates outdid themselves. We now not only only a 'War on Women' but a 'War on Cows'. Beef cattle(I'll call them that since those were the first words that came into my head)' are emitting an alarming amount of methane gas emissions into the atmosphere and our government is adamant that steps be taken to curb these cow farts. The fact of the matter is that more gas comes from the oral orifice than the anal but that's a minor point. My question is, how is this regime going to trap these insidious gases. Will cows be required to wear a butt plug? Will their mouths have to have a gizmo akin to what one with sleep apnea wears? Is this a waste of time that will somehow cost farmers bazillions of dollars? Easy answer for that one. It's a resounding yes.
You would think that with the MJ Hawkeye moniker I would be Iowa born and bred and you'd be correct. Your next guess about my background is that I know an encyclopedia's worth of information about corn, combines and cows. You'd be way off base. I was on a farm exactly once. My grandmother had a friend who lived in Fonda, Iowa(sounds like a farm town) and she took me to visit the farm when I was six. All I remember is that I took a chunk out of my leg trying to climb a barbed wire fence.
Did you know there are over 800 breeds of cattle? I wasn't aware of this amazing fact until I looked it up on, where else, Wikipedia.
 I'm going to throw out a couple of more questions about our bovine friends hoping someone can fill me in because I'm virtually clueless. When you drive down a highway and see cows what are they doing? They have their snouts in the ground eating grass. I cannot recall any of our leathery friends with their heads in the air. When I drive by they don't make a move. They do not moo. They might emit methane but I have my car windows up so I don't know They don't look up and they don't wave. Their necks are in the downward position. Cows have been around for thousands of years doing the same thing they've always done---eating. So, why is it with evolution and all that jazz their necks haven't grown in the downward position and stayed in that position permanently? Makes sense to me. Evolution caused humans to begin walking on all fours then to the upright position. What am I missing about cows?
The next question is mindboggling. Cows eat grass(probably some bugs and worms mixed in), oats, hay, alfalfa---in essence, all grass. Why is it, then, that they provide meat; lots of delicious steaks and hamburgers and everything else that is edible. And these bad boys grow to enormous size. For that matter, all of our fury four legged animals do the same except for your random tiger, lion or hyena. But they could. One would be of the opinion when cows are slaughtered the eating part would be food that tastes like grasses. Why is this? So many questions and, at my age, so little time.
The next item on the beef menu is price. News flash---prices are skyrocketing:
The retail value of "all-fresh" USDA choice-grade beef jumped to a record $5.28 a pound in February, up from $4.91 the same time a year ago. The same grade of beef cost $3.97 as recently as 2008.
If you ask me cows are becoming extremely uppity.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-beef-prices-20140406,0,2966247.story#ixzz2yLfc5QdN

No comments: