Sunday, April 13, 2014

The War On Catholicism

Photo


I made the mistake of watching Sixty Minutes after the conclusion of yesterday's Masters golf tournament. It was my own fault because I was too lazy to get out of my chair, grab the remote, and change channels. Sixty Minutes has evolved over the years---for the worse. Maybe it has to do with the ever changing cast members. It might be the result of an increase in secularism in America. When it first began Morley Safer did some nice pieces, mostly dealing with art and the finer aspects of life. Mike Wallace masked his political leanings to be fair and balanced.
Being a practicing Roman Catholic I'm defensive for my church. The traditions of the Church offers more than any other house of worship. The Mass is simple and special based on the Last Supper. It is the gift Jesus left us for eternity. Last night Sixty Minutes did a piece on Pope Frances and the good works he's been doing to make the Church relevant in the Twenty-First century. As I sat watching television it became more intriguing as to where the Church was headed in future years. Then, Scott Pelley and his producers went where they always go--the sexual abuses committed by priests in the Catholic Church against the innocent young. As I write I'm not going to make excuses for wayward priests. They are human beings. They screw up. Humans from all walks of life are sinners. Priests are sinners. I'm a sinner. However, priests have the ability to perform the sacrament called Transubstantiation, the changing of bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ. CBS and the rest of the MSM are on a mission to destroy the Catholic Church, plain and simple.
As a former high school teacher of twenty years I am still appalled at the number of instructors who preyed on young girls and boys under the age of 18 in my places of employment. In one Catholic high school alone, I was aware of two high school students who had sexual relations with two male teachers. One of the teachers was married and the other about to be. The result of these crimes came to nothing. I don't know if the administration knew the full details but the faculty and students surely did. In every school in which I taught minus one, six of them in all, I can tell you horror stories of adult predators, both male and female; those who should have gone to jail for rape. Schools, public and private, are reluctant to expose these sexual predators for fear of bringing negative attention to their institutions. And yet, little is heard about this locally or nationally. In essence, there are thousands more predator teachers than there are priests. I'm throwing out a figure based on my own recollection but I once read that the number of predator priests worldwide was somewhere around 0.047%. Since 1950 the percentage of priests who are pedophiles or accused of pedophilia numbered 4%.  http://www.religioustolerance.org/clergy_sex8.htm   This is hardly grounds for a religious backlash. You might be interested in knowing that in 2013, 209 Protestant ministers were accused of sexual indiscretion. As Casey Stengel once said, "If you don't believe me you can look it up" There is a real war going in in this country and it's a War on Catholicism. The Catholic Church has done more to bring healthcare, aid to the sick and distressed, the giving of charitable works than any other institutions in the history of this country. In the state of New York alone, there are over four hundred organized Catholic groups run by nuns and private individuals who support programs for the sick, destitute and mentally challenged without relying on government aid. They run orphanages and food banks and a myriad of other programs all done for the benefit of humanity. The Catholic Church should be praised by all segments of society for what they do. Try and tell me about any Islamic groups who come close to doing what the Catholic Church does. The truth is you can't and neither can anyone else.
I pulled an article from the New York Post of yesterday detailing sexual abuses in NYC over the past few years. I can understand why the Post would do this. They are more mainstream. What I am waiting on is for other news organizations to follow suit. I won't hold my breath.

From the New York Post:
"More than 100 New York City teachers, administrators and other school staffers have been caught in the last five years engaging in sexual or “inappropriate” relationships with students, The Post has learned.
The special commissioner of investigation for city schools, Richard Condon, has fielded 593 complaints about such illicit relationships since April 2009. His office substantiated 104 cases, it ­revealed Friday". http://nypost.com/2014/04/13/school-probe-finds-104-staff-student-flings-since-2009/?

No comments: